4/16/2012

Gardening for honeybees

Seeds for a Bee Garden
Seed packet from House of Bees to grow your own honeybee-friendly garden.

We recently received a seed packet sample from House of Bees ( www.houseofbees.com). We produce honey and I love to garden and when I saw their packet, I thought, “Why didn’t I think of that?” We have already started some seeds from it and I can’t wait to see all the flowers! It includes phacelia, catnip, lemon mint, purple coneflower, bachelor’s button, coriander, lemon balm, and borage. 

Their website reminds us to plant a variety of flowers that bloom all season, and to leave a bit of wild space in the yard. Bees like large patches of the same flower best. 

And then I remembered a USU Extension publication on bee gardening. (They have one on butterfly gardening too, in case you are interested.) It is gardening information for attracting native bees, but honeybees will like most of these too. Here is the link. http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf



The real strength of this document is the 5-page table of plants. 




It includes an awesome key I love how they include lots of Utah-native and water-wise plants. Happy gardening!




No comments: